Here are a few simple tips on how to decorate a home library:
- First things first: clear out the clutter. Reading rooms and study areas can often be cluttered with documents, papers and stray books. Clearing out the clutter will help you visualize the design for the home library more easily.
- Make your home library well put together by choosing a color palette. This is where your design will revolve. Warm colors like chocolate brown, beige, and burgundy work best for libraries, as they are cozy and inviting. Choose a color that works well with the rest of the house, so the home library does not look out of place. Once you have chosen your color palette, all your furnishings will have to conform.
- When picking out the furniture for your library, make sure that you keep comfort in mind. Long gone are the days when home libraries needed to be formal with only uncomfortable hardwood chairs. For a change, try investing in a comfortable couch in warm colors. Overstuffed couches are a popular choice, as they are perfectly comfortable to sit on when you’re reading a good book. Shelves that are high (floor-to-ceiling) can save space. This will let you create more space so you can prepare more room for chairs and tables. A good coffee table is also a good investment for a home library. It can be a place for you to have coffee while reading your favorite book. Decorating with paintings, sculptures and various other artifacts will also help create an intellectual vibe. Rugs will add an air of luxury and sophistication to the room.
- Choose just the right amount of light for your home library. Make sure that it is neither too dark nor too bright. You want to be able to have enough light so you and your guests can read properly. However, you also want to guard against over-lighting the space, as this will make the library seem too serious. Chandeliers work well for this purpose. But the best light fixture to use in the library, are adjustable lights. These lights will deliver just the right amount of light you desire. It would also be good to have large windows, as sunlight radiates a warm, comfortable light during of the day.
- Don’t be afraid to personalize your home library. Display personal memorabilia such as photos to create an intimate vibe.
These simple tips will help you create a home library that everyone would want to stay in.