Some of the African crafts and curios that you will find in the market and you can easily use include handmade and colorful African baskets, wood carvings some of which can very functional considering they can be used as utensils too and batik cloth. African ceramics, handmade clothing items and silk fabrics as well as game skin or leather made belts, bags and wallets are some of the other things you can find to add an African touch to your personality. Others are made for specific areas such as doors so that you can find door knobs that are designed to look like animals among other symbols that are African. The choices are numerous and you will find what you love most. A few buying tricks can help you out in transforming your décor using the African crafts and accessories.
- When choosing the African crafts, less is better for your house. For instance, an African mask might be all you need for your wall to bring a magical African feel to it. Too many of the crafts can leave your room looking overdone, so be easy when choosing your items.
- Be creative and use highlights that other people might not normally use. For instance a craft that is clearly made of an ostrich egg shell or feathers can make your room stand out. Strive to be as unique as possible. You can actually place the huge ostrich egg strategically in a given section to make a difference and you can even paint it to add your personal touch to it.
- Be daring with the colors. The good thing about African crafts and highlights is that they can be quite colorful. Apart from the usual blues and blacks, make a difference by going for the bright oranges, reds and yellows among others. One item in all the best colors can be all that you need to bring the African culture theme into your area.
- The handcrafting nature of the African items is what makes them outstanding. Find a sculpture and place it in a strategic area in your room and see how easy it will be to create a striking focal point in your home. The choices are numerous and you should find something that you can work with.
- Learn a little about the African culture surrounding the item that you are buying. You will feel more comfortable when you can relate to the value the item has in the African setting. You will also feel more comfortable giving the African crafts as gifts and wedding favors when you can tell a little about them.